Rebuild of solution produces build errors after adding VSSDK Assist Custom Project

Topics: General Discussion Forum
Jun 4, 2008 at 5:19 PM
Hi,

First of all thanks for creating these tools, I think they should make the vsx learning experience easier.

I'm having problems after using the VSSDK Assist to create custom projects.
The first time I launch the project in debug mode, it builds without errors and successfully launches my isolated shell
with a new vspackage/custom project added with vssdk assist.

The problem is when I attempt to later rebuild my solution, the following pops up on the output and later in the error list:
3>VSPackage1 -> D:\Temp\VSShellStub1\VSPackage1\bin\Debug\VSPackage1.dll
3>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 SDK\VisualStudioIntegration\Tools\bin\RegPkg.exe /root:Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0Exp "/pkgdeffile:obj\Debug\VSPackage1.pkgdef" "D:\Temp\VSShellStub1\VSPackage1\bin\Debug\VSPackage1.dll"
3>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 SDK\VisualStudioIntegration\Tools\bin\RegPkg.exe /root:Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0Exp /ranu /codebase "D:\Temp\VSShellStub1\VSPackage1\bin\Debug\VSPackage1.dll"
3>C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v9.0\VSSDK\Microsoft.VsSDK.targets(387,5): error MSB4018: The "DevEnvSetup" task failed unexpectedly.
3>C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v9.0\VSSDK\Microsoft.VsSDK.targets(387,5): error MSB4018: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
3>C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v9.0\VSSDK\Microsoft.VsSDK.targets(387,5): error MSB4018:    at Microsoft.VsSDK.Build.Tasks.DevEnvSetup.ItemsOutOfDate(ITaskItem[] items)
3>C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v9.0\VSSDK\Microsoft.VsSDK.targets(387,5): error MSB4018:    at Microsoft.VsSDK.Build.Tasks.DevEnvSetup.SkipTaskExecution()
3>C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v9.0\VSSDK\Microsoft.VsSDK.targets(387,5): error MSB4018:    at Microsoft.Build.Utilities.ToolTask.Execute()
3>C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v9.0\VSSDK\Microsoft.VsSDK.targets(387,5): error MSB4018:    at Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.TaskEngine.ExecuteInstantiatedTask(EngineProxy engineProxy, ItemBucket bucket, TaskExecutionMode howToExecuteTask, ITask task, Boolean& taskResult)
3>Done building project "VSPackage1.csproj" -- FAILED.

I was wondering if I am doing something wrong and if anyone else has seen this.
I wanted to check here before entering an issue about this.

My System:
Windows XP SP3
Visual Studio Team System 2008 9.0.21022.8 RTM
Visual Studio 2008 SDK 1.0 CTP
Guidance Automation Extensions February 2008
VSSDK Assist March 2008 CTP release

My steps:
    1. Created a new Project -> Visual Studio Shell Isolated (C++ only)

2. Enabled the guidance package manager->VS Shell Assist, VSSDK Assist

3. Added a Visual studio Integration package (Other project types->Extensibility)

4. Added the package created in step 3 to the shell dependencies

5. Built the solution/project

6. Right clicked on the added package VS SDK Assist->Create->Custom Project -> Create Custom Project .

7. Launched the project by clicking the play button (also automatically built the project in debug mode)

8. Stopped the project.

9. In vs2008 Selected the top level solution and right click Rebuild Solution.

Thanks,

Eric
Jun 4, 2008 at 9:37 PM

We got it working finally. Looks like an SDK issue.

Here's the post to fix the problem:

http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/vsx/thread/30cbf81d-67f6-4b68-8497-33b4a15f7537/

Eric